Police in the Kamukunji sub-county within Nairobi have established that a student at Ofafa Jericho High School protesting against evening preps set one of the dormitories on fire.
While mobilising students to attend evening preps, the school principal, Julius Linge, some defied and remained within the dormitory.
This prompted the teacher on duty to force the learners out, but one of the students sneaked back into the dormitory and torched one cubicle housing 20 students.Kakamega: One Killed in Fierce Gunfight as Suspects Attack Police Convoy to Free Accomplices
"The unruly student set ablaze a dormitory namely Ndovu House and torched one cube which houses 20 students. Several students properties and personal effects were destroyed during the Monday evening incident," a police report seen by TUKO.co.ke reads in part.
However, the fire was put out with the help of students and staff before it spread to other cubes.
"No injuries or fatalities were reported, however, few students who inhaled carbon monoxide while trying to salvage their property were rushed to the nearby Metropolitan Hospital in Buru Buru estate for first aid since they were complaining of breathing difficulties, their condition stable," the statement further reads.
A statement from the St John Ambulance indicated that the fire incident was contained well.
"About 50 students were evacuated to Metropolitan Hospital in Buruburu. There were few cases of students with minor burns. Most of the students had inhaled smoke causing breathing problems but no fatalities were reported," the organisation said.Laikipia: Gov't Deploys Rarely Seen Artillery, Dreaded GSU Hit Squad to Combat Bandits
The police visited the scene and conducted the necessary documentation done before launching a probe into the matter.
"Students using the dormitory escaped unhurt as no one was inside the dormitory at the time of the incident. The fire has since been contained," a statement from St John Ambulance Kenya reads.
The inferno burnt down two dormitories leaving close to 100 students with nowhere to sleep.
The two old dormitories, which hosted 80 students, caught fire when the learners were attending early morning preps.
Local area residents joined the school community in putting out the fire before it could spread and consume the other dormitories.