Note better, for easy illustrations, ill use hand sketches instead of computer generated graphics. Note the following diagram: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
Let us begin with 2 bulbs, 2 sockets and 2 switches,
For a basic solar wiring, you need the following materials
1. Solar panel(s) say 100w each costing about 5000/-, that is 10,000/-
2. Battery, 70ah, each costing about 6,800/-, that is 13,600/-
3. PV cable whose length depend on the height of your house. If your panels have at most 300w, buy 6mm square in thickness. If they have a 100w and less, you can use 2.5 mm square., about 150/- a meter,
3. Insulation tapes, 1 piece, about 80/- globe type, the big size.
4. Double pole, 100A 2 pieces, Selemax costs about 500/- a piece
5. Mcb. 6A, Selemax costs 220/-
6. Fuse 1A which can fit in a three pin plug 10/- per piece
7. Rail of about 9inches, about 50/-
8. Charge controller. Use equation power = current X voltage to determine the size you want. Example, if your solar system totals to 300w and each solar charging voltage is 18V, check from behind the panel, say 300= current X 18; current =16.666A. You need charge controller of about 30A. Give a wide allowance as shown above. Depending on the rating. A 40A costs about 3,500. Chinese made.
9. Inverter, buy the 300w, 1600/-
10. Three pin Plug, 1 piece, 100/- fair quality
11. Socket box double 2 pieces, 40/- a piece
12. Switch box single 2 pieces, 30a piece
13. Wire 2.5 mm square depending on size of your room, say 15 meters, 120/- a meter. Eat African company
14. 1.5 mm square about 15meters. 80/-./a meter
15. Junction boxes 2 pieces. 40 a piece. The small ones.
16. Cable clips 10 mm for 1.5mm wire. 100/-
17. Cable clips 12 mm for 2.5 mm wire. 100/-
18. Bulb holders (straight), 2 pieces, 80/-, good type.
19. Bulbs 2 pieces. Buy Direct current, 12V 5w. LED technology, 170/- a now
20. Switches, 1 gang 2 way 2 pieces, 100/- a piece
21. Sockets double 2 pieces, 220/- a piece. Good quality.
If you have two panels of 100W each, and you have two lead acid batteries of 75w each(this is my recommendation), join the solar panels as follows.
Make the knots, called joints firm. Insulate with the tape well. Use the PV cable to connect solar panels and the charge controller although the normal wires like like 2.5 mm can be used. See the image below: View pictures in App save up to 80% data. place the panels on your roof top. You can use a strong piece of timber to hold them together.
Next go inside the house and select the room where your apparatus will be based. Preferably the store. Never make your bedroom the power station for the battery acid and the inverter output power are dangerous. In the store, mount the solar charge controller on the wall. Use a steel nail to make holes as directed by the size of your gadget. After making the holes, look for pieces of dry wood and insert them inside the holes left by the steel nail. Now take screws of about one and half inches and screw the charge controller into the wall firmly.
Take the rail and screw it next to the charge controller. Mount the double pole on it. When the PV cable come from the solar, connect it to the double pole first. This is like your main switch. It will be isolating the solar from other apparatus. View the image below: View pictures in App save up to 80% data. Next we go to connecting the charge controller...
Look our for article 002. Or press follow so that you may not miss any details.
After we are through with solar wiring, we shall go to mains electricity wiring.