Breaking News in Nigeria this Night, Monday 29th of June 2020
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
1. Buhari gets new Personal Security Chief officer after Villa shooting.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner of Police, Aliyu Musa, as his Chief Personal Security Officer.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, disclosed this in a statement on Monday. According to the statement, Musa from Nigerian Police Force Zone 5, Benin City, as his last station, hails from Niger State.
Garba Shehu wrote, "Musa’s appointment follows the redeployment of his predecessor, Commissioner of Police, Abdulkarim Dauda."
It was learnt that Musa resumed work officially today being Monday.
2. Federal Government retains Nationwide curfew.
The Federal Government has retained the nationwide curfew declared to curtail further spread of COVID-19 in the country.
The National Coordinator, Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Sani Aliyu, disclosed this at a briefing of the task force in Abuja on Monday.
The curfew will remain in force between 10pm and 4am.
Aliyu also disclosed that the government has approved restriction of movements in high burden local government areas.
3. Daycare and Primary Schools remain closed - Federal Government says.
The Federal Government has said all primary schools and daycare centres across the Federation remained closed.
The National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19, Sani Aliyu, stated this in Abuja today being Monday.
He said, “For educational activities, all daycares and primary schools to remain closed till further evaluation.
Schools are encouraged to continue with e-learning and visual teachings but pupils may proceed to take the National Common Entrance as soon as it’s feasible provided there is compliance with issued non-pharmaceutical interventions."
4. Federal Government to consider Lockdown of 18 Local Governments.
The Federal Government may consider a lockdown of the 18 Local Government Areas considered to account for 60 per cent of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria in the next phase of eased lockdown in the country.
The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, gave the indication in an interview with The Punch and other State House correspondents, after leading some members of the task force to brief the President, Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Monday.
Mustapha, who is the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, said affected state governments would implement what he called “precision lockdown.”
While noting that the nation has not reached its peak as far as confirmed cases were concerned, he urged all stakeholders to ensure compliance with all non-pharmaceutical interventions.
He also gave an insight into the reason behind the low fatality rate in Nigeria, saying 80% of the infections are in the age bracket of 31 to 40 years, which he described as a very active part of the population.
5. Federal Government has approved safe re-opening of schools.
The Federal Government has approved what it called “safe reopening” of schools nationwide in the next phase of the gradual easing of lockdown ordered to curtail further spread of COVID-19.
However, only graduating students will resume.
The Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, disclosed this at the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja today, Monday.
He said the reopening of schools was meant to allow students in graduating classes to resume preparation for examinations.
He disclosed that the latest developments were contained in the task force’s fifth interim report which was submitted to the President Muhammadu Buhari earlier in the day.
Mustapha said, “I am pleased to inform you that Mr President has carefully considered the 5th Interim Report of the PTF and has accordingly approved that, with the exception of some modifications to be expatiated upon later, the Phase II of the eased lockdown be extended by another four weeks with effect from Tuesday, June 30, 2020 through Midnight of Monday, 27 July, 2020."
“Specifically, however, the following measures shall either remain in place or come into effect;
Safe re-opening of schools to allow students in graduating classes resume in-person in preparation for examinations," he said in a part of the statement.
These are some of the breaking News in Nigeria this Night, Monday 29th of June 2020.
Remember to follow me for more breaking news daily.