These 8 Bible Verses Prove Slavery And Colonialism Is Related To Religion
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
A lot of arguments is going on by historians about the relationship between Colonialism, slavery and Religion.
A school of thought argued that Religion was used to colonize large parts of Africa, while another debated against it that the missionaries had a different purpose from the Colonial masters.
Either ways, I strongly hold on the opinion that Religion was a weapon which the Whites used to colonize Africa. These 8 Bible verses below proves my point harder. See them below:
1. Slaves can be bought, sold or inherited. Leviticus 25: 44—46.
44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
2. You can sell your daughter into slavery. Exodus 21:7 says that;
"And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do."
3. You can buy a female s*x slave for yourself or your son. If you don't like her, you can sell her again but not to foreigners. Exodus 21:8 says that;
"If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her."
4. You can rape captive women but you can't sell them in slavery. Deuteronomy 21:10—14.
5. You will not get punished for killing your slave, as long as he doesn't die immediately. Exodus 21:20—21.
20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.
6. Slaves must submit to their masters, even when the master is harsh. 1 Peter 2:18
"Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward."
7. Slaves must serve their Christian masters better than other masters. 1 Timothy 6:1
"Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed." Endeavour to read verse 2, as well.
8. Slaves must please their masters in everything. Read 1 Timothy 6:2
These 8 Bible verses proves my point. However, I'm not saying Religion is evil. It isn't. What I'm driving at is that the colonialists used those points to subjects our ancestors as slaves during the Colonial era. You see how it works?
If you think otherwise, drop your opinions in the comments section.
Note: All scriptures quoted here are adapted from the King James Version (KJV) of the Christian Bible.
Oduse David is a Digital Journalist that writes content based on national and social issues.