Breaking News In Nigeria This Evening, Thursday 25th of June 2020
View pictures in App save up to 80% data. Good evening to you all.
Here are some of the breaking news we have in Nigeria this Evening.
1. FG stops purchase of vehicles.
With Wednesday’s approval of the N2.3 trillion Nigeria Economic Sustainability Plan by the Federal Executive Council, the Federal Government has stopped what it called non-critical and administrative capital spending, including the purchase of vehicles.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this in a document tagged, “What you need to know about the Nigeria Economic Sustainability Plan” made available to journalists in Abuja on Thursday.
The plan was developed by the Economic Sustainability Committee chaired by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo and established by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), earlier in March.
It was designed to support the nation’s economy in the face of the disruptions and challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Adesina listed eight key interventions as stated in the plan to include mass agricultural programme, infrastructure, informal sector support, business support for MSMEs, technology, expansion of National Social Investment Programmes, cut non-essential spending and support for state governments.
As part of ways to cut non-essential spending, Adesina said only ambulances, fire-fighting vehicles and other essentials are exempted from the ban on the purchase of vehicles.
He said, “The President has approved the implementation of the report on the rationalisation of government agencies.
“The NESP will also target a reduction in average production costs of crude oil.
“Also, the Integrated Personnel and Payment Information System will be expanded to cover all Federal Government’s MDAs.
“Non-critical and administrative capital spending will be eliminated, including purchase of vehicles (except for ambulances, fire-fighting vehicles and other essentials).”
He added that the Economic Sustainability Committee, would monitor the implementation of the plan while the Vice President will regularly brief the President on progress made.
2. Senator Abiola Ajimobi is dead.
According to report this evening, the Former Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi has been reported dead, following the complications of the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic.
Recall that he was recently rumoured dead, but one of his aides and some of his family members debunked the rumours, saying the former Senator is alive.
3. Buhari Dissolves APC National Working Committee, Appoints New Chairman.
According to report this evening, President Muhammadu Buhari has dissolved the National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
The decision was reached at the National Executive Council meeting held on Thursday.
The NEC has also appointed the Yobe State Governor, Mai Malla Buni as the Chairman, Caretaker /Convention Committee.
Governor Buni, who was the former Secretary of the APC was sworn-in by the Attorney General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.
President Muhammadu Buhari at the NEC advised that all litigations in the party should stop.
Bashir Ahmad, an aide to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), tweeted, “Following the recommendation of President Muhammadu Buhari, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been dissolved.”
4. FG to create, save 5m jobs from post-COVID-19 economic plans ― Adebayo.
According to report this evening, The Federal Government on Thursday said it will create and save no fewer than five million jobs from its Post-COVID-19 economic recovery plans.
The Minister of Industry, Trade, and Investment, Richard Adeniyi Adebayo, Thursday in a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Julius Toba-Jegede.
He said that the plans are underway to save about 1.4 million jobs of Nigerians, with 40 percent of them in female-owned MSMEs and 10 percent in businesses belonging to people with special needs.
The Minister noted that, the move is part of his ministry’s input in playing a leading role in the Federal Government’s delivery of Real Sector interventions of its Economic Sustainability Plan in the wake of the global pandemic.
To achieve these, he gave an overview of three programs as The MSME Survival Fund, The Guaranteed Offtake Stimulus Scheme, and the Credit Support to MSMEs and Priority Sector.
“These interventions will save and create about five million jobs, support continued operations, and increase in production capacity in priority sectors and protect MSMEs from the shocks of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"We expect that the Survival Fund will save 1.4 million jobs across the country, with 40% of them in the female-owned MSMEs and 10 % in businesses owned by persons with special needs.
“The Credit Support to MSMEs and Priority Sector, will provide affordable finance to key sectors impacted by the pandemic and enable an increase in manufacturing capacity in priority sectors. This scheme will save and create an additional three million jobs and will be implemented through N50 billion MSME de-risking facility, N100 billion intervention fund for priority sectors.
”These sectors include healthcare, agro-processing, creative industry, local oil and gas, and exports.
"There will also be N150 billion Capitalization Fund and an N50 billion Export Expansion Facility,” he said.
The Minister added that, the programs had been designed with a robust governance structure and a monitoring and evaluation framework to ensure their successful implementation.
Feel free to say your opinions at the comment box.
Please like, comment and share.
Follow me up for more breaking news daily.