10 Largest Ports in Africa
Africa covers about 60% of the earth's surface.
Africa possess over a hundred port facilities. The ports of Africa, are not just a tourist attraction, but also a field of serious business.
In recent years, African ports have made huge progress, with massive benefits thriving from successful port management packages.
Here are the 10 largest ports of Africa;
1. Tangier Med Port(Morocco) - 9m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
Tangier Med Port is a Moroccan cargo port, which is located about 40kms east of Tangier, Morocco. It's the largest port in Morocco, as well as Africa.
2. Port of Durban(South Africa) - 5.6m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The port of Durban, which is popularly known as Durban harbor, is the largest ship terminal of sub-saharan Africa, handling up to 31.4 million tonnes of cargo, each year.
Durban is the biggest port in South Africa.
3. Port Said Port(Egypt) - 3.5m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The Port Said Port in Egypt, is a 20 year old seaport, meant for container transport. It is the biggest container port in Egypt, and it's divided into port said port, and east port said port.
4. Port of Ngqura(South Africa) - 2m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The port of Ngqura, is a deep water part, on the east coast of the Indian ocean, in south Africa, located 20kms northeast of port Elizabeth.
The port of Ngqura, is South Africa's newest port, and the deepest container port in the country.
5. Port of Mombasa(Kenya) - 1.65m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The port of Mombasa is the principal Kenyan seaport.
The port of Mombasa does not serve Kenya only, but it's also a main gate for east African countries.
6. Port of Casablanca(Morocco) - 1.65m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The port of Casablanca, refers to the collective facilities and terminals, which conducts maritime trade handling functions.
7. Port of Doraleh(Djibouti) - 1.6m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The port of Doraleh is an extension of the port of Djibouti, which is located in the city of Djibouti, Ethiopia.
8. Port of Abidjan(Ivory Coast) - 1.3m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The autonomous port of Abidjan, is a commercial port in southern Abidjan, Ivory coast. It is a transship and an international facility, which is managed as a public industrial, and commercial establishment. It was opened in 1951.
9. Tema Port(Ghana) - 1.21m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The Tema Port in Ghana, is located in the southeastern part of Ghana, along the gulf of Guinea.
Tema Port is a member of the International Association of Ports and Harbors(IAPH).
10. Damietta Port(Egypt) - 1.2m TEUs: View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
Damietta Port is located 7kms west of the Nile River, damietta branch. The port insulation extends on an area of 11.8km².