Breaking News In Nigeria This Morning, Sunday, June 28, 2020
1. Oyo State shuts five clinics in Ibadan, Saki View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
OYO State Government has shut five private health facilities in Saki and Ibadan allegedly for contravention and unethical practices.
The state task force on private health facilities , headed by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Basiru Bello, shut down the facilities for engaging quacks , using unapproved premises; and failing to adhere to other rules guiding the practice.
The commissioner, who expressed concern over the attitude of the proprietors of private health facilities in the state , said government would not tolerate quackery in the sector.
2. Senators disagree over Customs’ N1.6tn target in 2020 budget
The Vice- Chairman of the Senate Committee on Customs , Francis Fadahunsi , who is also a retired Deputy Comptroller of the Nigerian Customs Service , says the agency can realise its initial revenue target of N1 .6 tn as contained in the 2020 national budget .
His position is contrary to that of a member of the Senate Committee, Senator Adamu Aliero , who had expressed doubts over the possibility of the Customs to meet the N 957 bn revenue target because of the dwindling oil revenue.
This is because there was a complete economic lockdown within the period the NCS realised the N573 bn. Target is a lazy way of collecting revenue because the moment you surpass it, you will remain docile.
The National Assembly had following the outbreak of the COVID - 19 in May , reviewed the target of the agency to N 957bn .
3. Buhari, Tinubu still together — Presidency View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
The Presidency has released the following statement to affirm the relationship between President Muhammadu Buhari and the former Lagos governor and leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu.
Mr Tinubu played a major role in the founding of the APC and Mr Buhari’s election in 2015. Mr Tinubu is believed to have the ambition to contest the 2023 presidential election.
Last week’s removal of the APC leadership, known to have been backed Mr Tinubu, has fueled suspicion of a fractious relationship between the duo.
On Saturday, Mr Tinubu in his first public response to the dissolution of the party’s leadership, a decision instigated by Mr Buhari, said he supported the move.
The presidency in the statement below says “Their relationship remains as strong as ever and between the two of them, only they know how they manage their enviable relationship.”
4. Nigeria records 779 new COVID-19 cases, total now 24,077
Nigeria has recorded 779 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to 24 ,077.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this known on Saturday .
The centre added that 558 patients have died of coronavirus- related complications in the country. View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
NCDC said , “ On the 27 th of June 2020 , 779 new confirmed cases and 4 deaths were recorded in Nigeria .
“ The 779 new cases are reported from 22 states- Lagos ( 285 ), Rivers ( 68) , FCT(60 ) , Edo ( 60 ), Enugu( 56 ), Delta(47 ) , Ebonyi (42 ) , Oyo( 41 ) , Kaduna( 19 ), Ogun( 18 ), Ondo (16 ) , Imo(12 ) , Sokoto( 11 ), Borno ( 9 ), Nasarawa ( 8 ), Abia ( 5 ), Gombe( 5 ) , Kebbi (5 ) , Kano ( 4 ), Yobe (3 ) , Ekiti (3 ) , Osun(2 )."
5. N16.2bn arrears: Pensioners urge Fayemi to clarify payment mode
THE Chairman , Nigeria Union of Pensioners , Ekiti State , Ayo Kumapayi, has called on the state government to clarify the alternative financial instrument being proposed by the state government to hasten payment of over N13 . 5 billion in unpaid gratuities , and N2 . 7 billion in outstanding pensions.
Kumapayi said the pensioners did not understand what the state government meant by saying it would pay as much as 50 per cent of the outstanding on or before the end of the Dr Kayode Fayemi administration in 2022 .
The pensioners ’ leader, who spoke at a press conference in Ado Ekiti , the state capital, on Friday, said the senior citizens deserved clarification on the payment mode , especially as it affected them.
6. 1.3 million UTME candidates can’t seek admission over delayed WAEC, NECO exams
No fewer than 1 ,300 ,000 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination candidates may lose their admission into universities and polytechnics in 2020 over the delay in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations due to the COVID- 19 pandemic .
This is the category of candidates who used awaiting results to sit the 2020 UTME , which held between March 14 and March 22 – a few weeks into the COVID-19 crisis.
Both the West African Examinations Council and the National Examinations Council , which should have conducted their examinations in April and May 2020 , have yet to do so due to schools closure since March due to COVID-19.