Know your rights and defend yourself anytime, anywhere
[email protected] 06/24/2020
MEANING OF RULE OF LAW
View pictures in App save up to 80% data. The rule of law means governance or governing the people through the guidelines of the law. It can also be seen as the absolute supremacy or predominance of the law over everybody (both the rulers and the ruled).
There are three basic principles of rule of law:
i.) Equality before the law: This means that no one is above the law and the law is no respecter of persons.
ii.) Impartiality: This principle preaches due process of law in dealing with offenders. No one should be made to suffer any penalty or loss or punished in any way unless found guilty of breaking the law.
iii.) Fundamental human rights: This principle states that citizens of a country should enjoy certain undeniable rights and liberties under the law.
Other principles include:
- There should be no government influence or censorship of the press.
- Law should not be back–dated or made to have retrospective effect.
- The law should be clearly spelt out and must not be kept secret.
- There must be legal limitations of the actions of the government.
- An accused or those found guilty should be given the opportunity to appeal.
- Punishment meant for an offender must agree with the offence he/she has committed.