Breaking News in Nigeria this Morning, Sunday 28th of June 2020
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
1. Tinubu's relationship with Buhari remains strong as ever - Presidency says.
The Presidency has on Saturday said there was no rift between President Muhammadu Buhari and a founding father of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu.
According to a statement signed by Presidential spokesman Garba Shehu, the two are “in touch with one another” and “their relationship remains as strong as ever.”
The Presidency's comment comes after President Buhari dissolved the party’s National Working Committee amid a party crisis in Edo state which led to the exit of Governor Godwin Obaseki.
A part of Shehu's statement said; "To put the records straight: In the formation of this great party and giving it leadership, President Buhari and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, who are reckoned as the founding fathers of the APC are both inspired by democratic norms, national interest and not at all by partisan motivations. These are the qualities that have made them move past cynical distractions.
They are in touch with one another. Their relationship remains as strong as ever and between the two of them, only they know how they manage their enviable relationship."
2. Stolen 110million Naira: Army yet to arrest indicted Soldiers 11 months after.
The Nigerian Army has yet to apprehend five runaway soldiers attached to the 8 Division, Sokoto State, who fled with over N100m operational money since July 2019.
A top source alleged that the soldiers were being shielded by some forces within and outside the army. The personnel were identified as Corporal Gabriel Oluwaniyi, Corporal Mohammed Aminu, Corporal Haruna, Oluji Joshua and Hayatudeen O.
Already, a General Court Martial which sat in Abuja and presided over by the Nigerian Army Chief of Policy and Plans, Lt Gen Lamidi Adeosun, on June 16 ordered the dismissal of a former General Officer Commanding of the division, Maj Gen Hakeem Otiki, over the alleged diversion.
A correspondent of The Punch learnt that the Nigerian Army Council would be meeting by September to review the judgment. According to military procedures, the council will decide whether to approve or upturn the GCM’s judgment handed over to the embattled general.
A top source said, “Otiki is due to retire by December 2020. He and Adeosun had once been tipped to succeed the Chief of Army Staff, because of their seniority and records. Otiki was the Commander, Infantry Corps in Jaji, Kaduna State, before he was appointed the 8 Division GOC in March 2019.
There is evidence indicating that some of the soldiers who stole the money, had been in connivance with some politicians before and during the 2019 elections in Sokoto State. They might have acted in cooperation with politicians who wanted to see the downfall of Otiki for whatever reason. The army council will be meeting in September to review the judgment handed over to Otiki, after which he may proceed to the Court of Appeal if he is still not satisfied."
3. I have no regrets, i stand by all my actions - Oshiomole says.
The Suspended National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole said he has accepted the decision of the National Executive Committee NEC to dissolve the National Working Committee NWC which he chaired until Thursday.
At a news conference Saturday in Abuja, the former labour leader said he has no regret over the various decisions he took while at the helm of affairs, stating that his greatest moment of happiness in office was when the party took over Kwara state and effectively displaced the Saraki political dynasty.
He said President Muhammadu Buhari had two years ago invited him to come and reposition the APC and that since the president in his wisdom has also agreed to the dissolution of the NWC, he is bound to obey him as the leader of the party.
When asked if there was anything he would have done differently looking back at his years in office, Oshiomhole said; “No, the process of leadership requires that you make decisions. I am a man of very strong convictions. I am driven by what I believe in and I recognize that for every decision you take particularly when you embark on radical reforms, you are going to step on some toes. That was clear to me. I am not assuming leadership for the first time. I have taken my decisions. I am happy."
4. Edo 2020: Atiku orders the activation of 150 support groups for Obaseki.
Ahead of the Sept. 19 governorship poll, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has donated his 150 support groups to Governor Godwin Obaseki’s governorship campaign organisation in Edo State.
Atiku Abubakar announced this in a statement made available to newsmen on Saturday in Benin.
The statement was signed by Mr Oladimeji Fabiyi, Deputy Director of the defunct Atiku Support Group/Mobilization Presidential Campaign Organisation.
It quoted Abubakar as directing that the 150 independent support groups in Edo be immediately activated in support of Obaseki, PDP’s flag bearer in the election.
Remember to follow me for more daily breaking news.