Health Benefits of drinking Unsalted Tomato Juice and How to make it.
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
Asides being the base for awesome cocktails and delicious smoothies, tomato juice(also know as a Virgin Bloody Mary) has some amazing health benefits, especially if taken daily. In this article, I'm going to highlight some major health benefits you might not have known before, and a simple recipe to make yours at home.
· Lowers Blood Pressure and reduces the risk of heart attacks.
Tomato juice is found to have high concentration of vitamins and potassium, which are very good for the heart and helps to lower blood pressure for those at risk of hypertension. It also helps to reduce cholesterol levels in middle aged folks.
· Helps get rid of a hangover.
Yes, you saw that right. For starters, Tomato juice is made up of lots of water, which will rehydrate you. Alcohols depletes your body’s hydration levels and potassium levels too, and what better way to restore what you’ve lost by drinking a juice that has lots of water, contains replenishes your potassium AND contains an antioxidant(Lycopene) that helps with detoxification? The best thing to do though, would be to let off on the booze and give your body a break, lol.
· Aids digestion.
Tomatoes are rich in fibre and antioxidants, which when consumed constantly helps to ease and stimulate bowel movements, which aids digestion and prevents constipation.
· Helps improve eyesight
A combination of carrots and your tomato juice is the perfect drink to improve your eyesight. Both vegetables are rich in vitamin A, which has a big part to play in giving you good vision. Tomatoes also contain Lycopene, an antioxidant that helps fight against age-related degeneration that could eventually lead to blindness.
How to make tomato juice.
· 12 medium-sized, ripe, fresh tomatoes(most important, of course)
· 1 cucumber
· 3 stalks of celery
· 2 tablespoons of lemon/lime juice
· Sugar to taste(optional)
· ½ bulb of small sized onion(optional)
· Chili powder(optional)
1. Wash all your produce and cut into large chunks.
2. Using a stainless steel pot, pour a cup of water into your pot and simmer your produce on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
3. Let produce cool off a bit, then blend with your chili powder(optional) in a food processor or blender until partly smooth
4. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a clean container
5. Add your sugar and lemon juice, cover and refrigerate.
Your tomato juice is ready! It is best serve chilled, and can last up to one week in the refridgerator.