Five Most Expensive Auctioned Classic Cars
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
“Automobiles have always been part of my life, and I'm sure they always will be. What is it about them that moves me? The sound of a great engine, the unity and uniqueness of an automobile's engineering and coachwork, the history of the company and the car, and, of course, the sheer beauty of the thing.” - Edward Herrmann
People are driven by many things in life. The words of Herrmann says a lot about how some people react to the things that they cherish. Cars offer some of the best de-stressing therapy and they are prized assets or acquisition. The cosy interior the speed and revving of the engines the sound of music and many more. But how much can you spend to buy a car; not just a regular daily-street-driven cars, but classic cars of many years ago? A few thousands? Or millions?
Many car owners have relinquish ownership of their cars to others after many years. Some of the transactions happened in public and the figures are there to see by all who are interested and there are some transactions that were private and we surely cannot determine how much each of the cars was sold for. Let’s check out five of the most expensive classic cars in history and how much they were sold for.
1. Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta. On August 14, 2014 this red 1962 Ferrari model was auctioned in the United States. This car claims the highest spot in the ranking order after the sum of $39.4 million was paid for it. Wow! That’s a lot for a classic car. But, why would someone want to pay so much for this car? Here is why! The Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta has a lifelong amazing history behind it. This particular car is the 17th of the 36 Ferrari GTOs ever made. It was created to impress and it succeeded. This car was designed by Carrozzeria Scaglietti and it is the best known of them all. It was used in races and tours and it happens to be the most maintained cars. It runs on a 3-litre V12 engine. This car which was once sold for as high as $52million, making it the most expensive car in history was nominated in 2004 as the top sport car of all time. Motor Trend Classic placed it top of the Greatest Ferraris of All Time.
2. Ferrari 335S. You’d want to wonder why Ferraris are the leaders in this category. The Ferrari 335S, also called Spider Scaglietti is a sport car made in the year 1957. It has a 4-litre V12 engine and its maximum power was 390 horsepower at 7400 rpm. This two-seater body-styled car has only four of its kind. Carrozzeria Scaglietta was the brain behind its design. But on February 5, 2016 it was auctioned in Paris, France. The bid winner for this classic parted with $36.4million to become its owner.
3. Mercedes-Benz W196. This Benz model was successor to W194. Designed by Rudolf Uhlenhaut and manufactured by the German Automaker, Mercedes-Benz, the W196 was a sport car which raced in formula 1 between 1954 and 1955 seasons. It won nine out of twelve races and was considered a power horse. Juan Manuel Fangio drove this model was famous with it, he was a Grand Prix champion. Also referred to Silver Arrow, this model was auctioned in Sussex, United Kingdom for $31.1million on July 12, 2013.
4. Ferrari 290MM. Ferraris are not found wanting when it comes to designs and ultimately the price of their car over. They’ve proven time and time again that they are a force to reckon with. The Ferrari 290MM has just four of its kind. It was manufactured in the year 1956 to take part in the Mille Miglia in the same year it was produced. Powered by 3.5litre V12 engine, the car has a maximum power of 320 horsepower, designed to travel at a top speed of 280km/hr. it was auctioned in New York City, USA on December 10, 2015 at the sum of $28.96 million.
5. Ferrari 275 GTB/4 S NART Spider. This 1967 model of the Ferrari has ten “siblings”. The NART in its name stands for North American Racing Team. The Ferrari 275 is a V12 powered engine with a horsepower of 280-300. Scaglietti was the designer of the NART Spyder. It ranked as number three in Motor Trend Classic Greatest Ferraris of All Time. It was auctioned in California, United States on August 17, 2013 for the sum of $28.8 million.
These are some of the most expensive classic cars in the world today. You can add to the list of these classic machines.