opera.com

Reader mode

Breaking News in Nigeria This Morning, Sunday, June 28, 2020

Synced 06/28/2020

1. Edo Election: Obaseki confirms running mate.

View pictures in App save up to 80% data.

The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has confirmed his Deputy Governor, Philip Shuaibu, as his running mate for the September elections.

Obaseki speaking after receiving his certificate of governorship primary on Saturday, said “you don’t change a winning team”.

The Governor also described his emergence as the PDP governorship candidate as a miracle from God.

In his acceptance speech, Obaseki said, “My emergence as the governorship candidate of the PDP in the just concluded primary election is just the hand of God. It is miraculous. I and my deputy are grateful to this great party.

“In hours of tribulation in our political storm, PDP gave us a huge umbrella. This ought to be our first party because of the values of justice, fairness. We found out that transparency and quality of governance reign in this party.”

Obaseki also thanked the National Organising Secretary, Austin Akobundu; National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan; and the National Legal Adviser for their prompt responses to issues regarding his waiver and eventual nomination.


2. APC cannot exist without Buhari – Tinubu.

View pictures in App save up to 80% data.

Bola Tinubu, National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has said the party can’t exist without President Muhammadu Buhari’s contributions.

Tinubu stressed that Buhari was more than a beneficiary of APC.

He made the remark against the backdrop of Buhari’s admonition to aggrieved members of APC to suspend all pending legal matters.

Buhari had lamented that APC was on the verge of destruction and its fortune nearly jeopardized due to the leadership crisis.

However, the former Lagos State governor said Buhari was a founding father of the APC, hence he cares about the party’s wellbeing.

Tinubu’s position was revealed in a statement he signed and forwarded to DAILY POST.


3. Stolen N100m: Army yet to arrest five indicted soldiers 11 months after.

View pictures in App save up to 80% data.

The Nigerian Army has yet to apprehend five runaway soldiers attached to the 8 Division, Sokoto State, who fled with over N100m operational money since July 2019.

A top source alleged that the soldiers were being shielded by some forces within and outside the army. The personnel were identified as Corporal Gabriel Oluwaniyi, Corporal Mohammed Aminu, Corporal Haruna, Oluji Joshua and Hayatudeen O.

Already, a General Court Martial which sat in Abuja and presided over by the Nigerian Army Chief of Policy and Plans, Lt Gen Lamidi Adeosun, on June 16 ordered the dismissal of a former General Officer Commanding of the division, Maj Gen Hakeem Otiki, over the alleged diversion.

Our correspondent learnt that the Nigerian Army Council would be meeting by September to review the judgment. According to military procedures, the council will decide whether to approve or upturn the GCM’s judgment handed over to the embattled general.

A top source said, “Otiki is due to retire by December 2020. He and Adeosun had once been tipped to succeed the Chief of Army Staff, because of their seniority and records. Otiki was the Commander, Infantry Corps in Jaji, Kaduna State, before he was appointed the 8 Division GOC in March 2019.

“There is evidence indicating that some of the soldiers who stole the money had been in connivance with some politicians before and during the 2019 elections in Sokoto State. They might have acted in cooperation with politicians who wanted to see the downfall of Otiki for whatever reason. The army council will be meeting in September to review the judgment handed over to Otiki, after which he may proceed to the Court of Appeal if he is still not satisfied.”

The Nigerian Army Council comprises four people: the Minister of Defence and Chairman of Council, Maj Gen Bashir Magashi (retd); the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Abayomi Olonisakin; the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai; and the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defence who is Secretary of Council, Mr Sabi’u Zakari.

The military court had found Otiki guilty of “disobedience to service orders, theft of public property, diversion of operational money and engagement in private businesses.”

The GCM President, Adeosun, ordered his demotion to a Brigadier-General and dismissal from the service. The court ordered monies totalling N135.8m, and the United States $6,600 be returned to the coffers of the Nigerian Army.


4. Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu Picks Running Mate.

View pictures in App save up to 80% data.

Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, has picked his running mate for the upcoming election.

Naija News reports that Ize-Iyamu picked Hon. Gani Audu, a former Chairman of Etsako West Local Government.

Audu is also a member representing Etsako West constituency 2 in the state House of Assembly.

Recall that the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) had ratified the governorship primary in Edo State which produced Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu as its governorship candidate.


5. Oyo Govt Denies Delaying Ajimobi's Burial.

View pictures in App save up to 80% data.

Oyo State Government has denied insinuations that it is responsible for the delay in burying the immediate past governor of the state, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, who died on Thursday.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, said that the insinuations amounted to a wicked lie.

The statement read: “In view of the intense enquiries from news media organisations regarding the perceived delay in burying the late former Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, the Oyo State Government wishes to place on record that there is no truth in the rumour making the rounds that the burial is being delayed by the state government.

“The rumour, which is being deliberately spread to give the state government a bad name and to play undue politics with the dead, initially came by the way of social media gossip, which gained traction to attract the attention of traditional media outfits.

“Several media outfits reached out to the Media Office of the Governor of Oyo State to make enquiries on this barefaced lie on Saturday.

“Let it be stated clearly that the Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde, has played no role at all in causing any delay whatsoever regarding the burial of his immediate predecessor, Senator Ajimobi.

“The truth of the matter is that the family, through a proxy, approached the state government and sought approval to bury the late governor on a plot of land at Agodi GRA, which is currently under litigation.

“Incidentally, it was the same former Governor Ajimobi who instituted the legal action.

Source: opera.com
The views expressed in this article are the writer's, they do not reflect the views of Opera News. Read more>>

Less Data,More News — Less than 1MB