B.E.C.E: English language examination
English language practice questions for candidates preparing for an examination
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
1. Nagging doesn't work. You should try and cut _____ it.
2. I know I was supposed to stay serious, but I couldn't help ______ .
3. All the surviors have been ______ for.
4. My grandmother used to make her children _____ up their beds every morning.
5. Can we use the conference room? - Sure, it _____ this morning.
isn't being used
6. _____ not been for his help, I couldn't have passed.
If he had
7. We _____ watch Star Trek with my brother every evening when we were children.
were used to
8. 'The bathroom floor is all wet. Who ______ a shower?'
has been having
had been having
9. Nobody should think they're above _____ .
10. When making beer, barley is _____ to bring out its sweetness.
11. Our company receives hundreds of ______ emails every day.
12. ’Do you mind if I open the window?’ ’I’d rather you ______.'
13. My teacher had difficulty ______ my handwriting.
to have read
14. My parents suggested ______ apply for the job.
me I should
15. Hang ____! I'll be there with you an hour.
16. He refused to admit _____ too strict with the children.
to having been
he should have been
he has been
17. I’m not feeling well. I’d rather _______ in tonight.
you to stay
18. If you _____ mind waiting, I'll call and check if Mr Owen is in.
19. I'm sure he _______ being around my ex-husband.
won't get used
might be used to
will get used to
20. Seldom _____ anything funnier.
I have seen
have I seen
21. I’m afraid I _____ used to working in an open-plan office.
22. Children need to have their imagination ______ .
23. You ______ him with my wife. She was with me all the time.
may have seen
can't have seen
24. The guest room is quite small, but there should be enough space for you there. You only have a few ____ and pieces.
25. The judge had _____ in allowing the lawsuit to proceed.
26. The author died after a ______ illness.
27. I don’t know when the term ’hipster’ was ____ , but it has become quite popular lately.
28. I’m not sure if I shut down the computer. I can’t really remember _______ it down.
29. Although the lunar landing ______, the crew managed to take some invaluable photos of the Moon's surface.
30. Criminal defendants can't be called to the stand by the ______.
31. The trial, in which Ms Jones was accused of conspiracy, was scheduled to end ______ week.
in the last
32. Joe showed me photos of his new car, _____ he bought last week.
use WHICH when giving extra information about something in a relative clause
33. 2007 saw an uninterrupted growth, which ______ a couple of moderate falls continued in 2008.
34. When you end up in prison with no friends left, only then _____ realise that all your thieving has been for nothing.
35. If you ______ to see Mary, could you say hello to her for me?
36. When you are parted from your partner, you _____ to appreciate each other more.
37. She’s lost her credit card. She _______ it somewhere.
must have been dropping
should have dropped
must have dropped
would have dropped
38. If he_____ phone, tell him to ring back later.
39. When I stopped _____ to him, he was repairing his watch. We had a good chat.
40. I asked an old couple for directions, but _____ of them knew where the cinema was.
41. Everyone wanted to hear the president's ______ address.
42. He must be forty or ______ .
43. My sister really gets a ____ out of singing in public.
44. I asked Jane about the accident, but she _____ a word.
didn't use to
45. I got a _____ box for my birthday.
white small wooden
small white wooden
small wooden white
wooden small white
46. The poor are not _____ as full members of society.
thought to be
47. Increasing currency ______ is making exchange rates more volatile.
48. You are taking this very lightly, ______ your mother is dead serious.
49. ______ the people I interviewed, one in ten said they had already lied to someone that day.
50. Don't worry. You've got _____ on Janet. You're much more intelligent.